Autism Spectrum Disorders Certificate
About the Program
JMU | Certificate | Online – This certificate enables those in the field to increase their knowledge and understanding of students with a disability in the autism spectrum, including those with Asperger Syndrome. As a student, you will become engaged in the practice of assessing, planning and implementing programming for this population. A course sequence has been developed to provide solid practice recommendations for this quickly growing need in the area of special education. Planning for the certificate programs has been based on competencies compiled by a committee of Virginia-statewide stakeholders with a variety of backgrounds and perspectives and the Graduate Level Autism Certificate Program is now recognized by the Virginia Autism Council (VAC). Upon completion of the program, you will have the knowledge to:
- Create curriculum based on current research in the field of autism and coursework focused on applied theory, ethics, and professionalism in both the general education and special education settings.
- Identify common characteristics associated with Autism Spectrum Disorders in young children and adults.
- Focus on the skills relevant to designing materials for effective communication with professionals, parents, and caregivers for children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Modify strategies for multiple environments to meet the needs of the autistic community.
- Recommend behavioral strategies that will help maintain positive environments
- Teaching (does not lead to initial licensure)
Courses & Requirements
9 Credit Hours – undergraduate certificate
11 Credit Hours – graduate certificate (which includes Practical Experience in Autism)
The coursework for both the Graduate and Undergraduate certificates includes:
Early childhood characteristics
Issues and programming
Programming and life planning
Sensory motor components
Related service needs
Related and co-morbid medical conditions
Social skills and support
Peer network development and support
Cost & Financial Aid
- 317.00 per credit hour for Virginia resident
- 327.00 per credit hour for Non-Virginia resident
- 412.00 per credit hour for Virginia resident
- 422.00 per credit hour for Non-Virginia resident
Learn more about Financial Aid opportunities available at James Madison University.
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
Learn more about student support resources available to JMU students.