Autism Spectrum Disorders
About the Program
MBU | Master’s | Online – This online MEd includes a Comprehensive Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders as part of the graduate degree. It provides students with a broad understanding of educational leadership, research design, instructional technology, as well as in depth exploration of educational, community, and home-based interventions for school-aged individuals with autism spectrum disorders. The degree is appropriate for teachers, instructional assistants, and others who work in a variety of settings with those who have autism or other related developmental disabilities. A 70-hour school-based field experience is required. Opportunities for student-selected electives are included in the degree program.
- Continuing to teach, but on a higher salary scale and with additional expertise
- Working as a highly-skilled para-educator in a special needs setting
- Working for an agency providing behavioral/school support for clients with autism
Courses & Requirements
33 credit hours
Prerequisite: Undergraduate degree in any discipline, solid GPA and references.
The curriculum includes broad courses in education leadership and instructional practice in addition to the autism-specific curriculum. Additionally, students will select six credits of electives from other graduate education offerings of their choice based on personal interest. Upon completion, students receive a Comprehensive Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders, endorsed by the Virginia Autism Council, in addition to their MEd degree.
Cost & Financial Aid
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
How to Apply
There is no fee to apply! Click on the “Apply Now” link.