Ed.S. in Curriculum & Instruction–Reading Education
About the Program
UVA | Teacher Certification | Online – The educational specialist degree program is designed to help educators who already hold a master’s degree to go further in the field of education. With a focus on analysis of current research and hands-on study through field experience, the program provides educators with the skills to develop curriculum, and assess, evaluate, and instruct students in literacy related to content areas.
Teachers today work in a variety of settings including K-12 schools, school divisions, adult education, commercial educational ventures, and community centers. In all settings, professionals may be responsible for designing and integrating curricular programs that reflect research-based practices. The Education Specialist degree allows teachers with a master’s degree to build their own expertise in curriculum design with a focus on literacy development. In light of current government legislation, it is imperative for curriculum leaders to be in a strong position to facilitate students’ literacy needs across the curriculum.
- Central office and leadership positions
- Coaching positions
- Community college administration
Courses & Requirements
10 Credit Hours | Course Checklist
Word study, reading diagnostics, literacy leadership and coaching, and reading instruction are some of the focuses of courses in the Ed.S C&I Reading Ed. Program.
Students in the program will learn how to:
- Apply knowledge of refined research-based teaching strategies and skills to improve literacy instruction
- Integrate the best practices of reading into the entire curriculum
- Evaluate current practices in education and explore strategies to improve learning outcomes
- Create positive social change by providing literacy leadership at the school, community and division levels
- Explore real-world challenges in education and develop scholarly methods to create positive social change
Cost & Financial Aid
K-12 Educator Discount Rate – $335 in-state; $750 out-of-state, including fees
Non-K-12 Educator Online Tuition, (same in-state and out-of-state):
$535/credit hour including fees
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
How to Apply
Any student who wishes to apply for this degree must submit an online application, required test scores, at least two letters of recommendation, a complete transcript, and a current statement of professional goals.