English Language Learning PreK-12
About the Program
UVA | Teacher Certification | Online – English language learners present special challenges for teachers in today’s classrooms. A successful ELL teacher learns to balance the language learning needs of the students with the appropriate content. The knowledge and skills students gain in ELL classes positively affect their lives at school and home. As the diversity of the United States increases, so too does the need for teachers of second language learners.
The benefits of adding an ELL Endorsement are:
- Expanded job opportunities because as the ELL student population continues to increase, ELL teacher shortages continue to increase as well
- Better communicate with students whose English is a second language, thereby being a more effective teacher
- Learn the cultures of students from other countries and therefore better understand why students behave in certain ways
- Increase earning power by adding an in-demand endorsement to your skill set
- ELL instructor
Courses & Requirements
18 credit hours | Course Checklist
Course topics for the ELL preK-12 Online Course Series include English linguistics, cross cultural education, reading instruction for ELLs, second language acquisition, and ESL assessment and curriculum development.
The candidate for the add-on endorsement must have:
1. completed an approved teacher preparation program in English as a second language education; OR
2. completed the following:
a. Graduated with a baccalaureate degree with an endorsement in a teaching area;
b. Completed 24 hours of approved coursework in preK-12 English as a second language education that addresses specified competencies noted in section 8VAC20-22-350 of the Licensure Regulations for School Personnel. To fill this requirement, the Curry School provides 18 credit hours of online ELL courses, and the remaining 6 credit hours of required modern foreign language courses may be met by validation of undergraduate courses in foreign language or by taking a basic foreign language course at a community college.
Cost & Financial Aid
K-12 Educator Discount Rate – $335 in-state; $750 out-of-state, including fees
Non-K-12 Educator Online Tuition, (same in-state and out-of-state): $535/credit hour including fees
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
How to Apply
Students interested in taking courses in this series must fill out a Permission to Enroll form; no application is needed.
Who Should Enroll
Teachers with a current 5-year renewable Virginia teaching license who wish to add an endorsement in preK-12 ELL/ESL education.
The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) sets the requirements for licensure in ELL Education. Upon completion of the course requirements, teachers work with their employing Virginia School Divisions to request an evaluation for the add-on endorsement, submitting all relevant transcripts to the VDOE for review. Because this is an add-on endorsement, no practicum experience is required. You can visit the VDOE’s webpage Adding Endorsements for more information about the application process.