Licensed Massage Therapy
About the Program
DSLCC | On-site – Massage therapy is a rapidly growing aspect of the Healthcare Support industry that employs physical manipulation of muscles and soft tissues of the body for therapeutic effect. Rising demand by healthcare providers is creating many new career opportunities in this high-growth profession. An increasing number of states are adopting licensing requirements and standards for therapists, and the practice of massage is becoming more universally respected and accepted as a way to treat pain and to improve overall wellness.
- Private Massage Therapy Practices
- Health and Physical Therapy Clinics
- Spas – including private business & hotel and resort settings
- Healthcare – hospitals, medical offices, physical therapy & chiropractic care
Courses & Requirements
The DSLCC Massage Therapy program curriculum includes a total of 500 hours of classroom instruction, having 200 hours devoted to anatomy and physiology, 200 hours to massage theory and practice, 85 hours to related subjects including CPR and First Aid, business practices and communication skills, and 10 hours to ethics. The curriculum is mapped to the requirements of the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) for its national certification examination, the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx). After successful passage of this exam, the graduate will be eligible for licensure in Virginia as a Massage Therapist by the Virginia State Board of Health Professions.
Cost & Financial Aid
Full tuition is $5,997 but for qualified Virginia residents, FastForward financial aid reduces tuition to $1,999 or less! All required textbooks, CPR class, certification exam and AMTA affiliate membership are included in the tuition.
FastForward financial aid is available for this program. FastForward pays 2/3 or more of the full tuition amount for qualified Virginia residents.
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
As a student of Dabney S. Lancaster Community College, your tuition covers:
- All required textbooks
- Healthcare provider CPR class
- MBLEx certification exam
- Affiliate membership in the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)