Licensed Massage Therapy
About the Program
DSLCC | Hybrid | Certificate – Licensed Massage Therapists (LMTs) aid in the general wellness of clients by manipulating the muscles and other soft tissues of the body to relieve pain, help heal injuries, improve circulation, relieve stress, and increase relaxation. This course provides the essential training and skills students need to enter the field of massage therapy. Students who complete training and achieve a passing score on the MBLEx will be prepared with the foundational knowledge needed to embark on a career in modern clinical massage.
- Spa therapist
- Wellness center therapist
- Swedish massage
- Deep-tissue massage
- Sports/fitness massage
Courses & Requirements
Upon completion, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of anatomy & physiology related to body mechanics and massage therapy.
- Understand indications, contraindications, tissue injury, and repair.
- Explain and employ ethical and professional standards.
- Practice effective infection control, safety, and hygiene.
- Accurately interview, assess, and document-related client medical information.
- Administer safe, effective therapeutic massage treatment.
Successful completion of this course will prepare the student for the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx). A passing score will confer Virginia Board of Nursing Licensure as a Licensed Massage Therapist.
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass