About the Program
One of Radford University’s longest-running programs in the Roanoke Valley, this “2+2” program offers a unique opportunity for Virginia Western Community College (VWCC) students to complete a degree in criminal justice onsite through a state university. The articulated agreement allows for individuals who have earned the AAS in Administration of Justice (ADJ) from VWCC to take as few as 33 credit hours in CRJU via Radford University and additional electives from either VWCC or Radford University to meet the 120 credit hours required for the B.S. degree.
The program is tailored to meet the needs of working students and is of the same high quality as Radford University’s on-campus program. The CRJU department offers 6-9 credit hours per semester from RHEC in the fall and spring semesters in addition to online options for summer study. This program also allows for dual enrollment (at VWCC) provided it is RU adviser-approved coursework.
- Law Enforcement/Patrols, Investigations, Forensics, Probation
- Social Services /Corrections, Counseling, Casework, Victim Advocacy, Loss and Prevention
- Business/Private Security, Internet Security, Global Intelligence
Courses & Requirements
- 66 credits transferred from VWCC ADJ Program
- 33 credits taken through Radford University
- 21 credits taken through RU and/or VWCC (Adviser Approved)
Required coursework includes the study of law enforcement, courts, corrections (prisons, jails, probation and parole), causes of criminal behavior, diversity issues related to criminal justice, research methodology, deviant behavior, emergency management and other critical issues in criminal justice. Topics in elective course work include legal issues, criminal investigations, security and crime prevention, criminal justice ethics, firearms policy, crime analysis and crime mapping, juvenile justice and more.
You must complete this program within five years of the catalog year in which you initially enroll.
Cost & Financial Aid
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
Radford University Resources Available To Students Enrolled Via RHEC:
- Radford University Bookstore
- McConnell Library
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Center for Accessibility Services
- Military Resource Center
- Financial Aid Office
- Career Center at Radford University
- Division of Student Affairs
- Division of Information Technology (Radford University 25 station Computer Lab on Site at RHEC)
How to Apply
It is strongly recommended that prospective students arrange for pre-admission consultation to determine if you will meet the terms of the articulation agreement at the time of matriculation into RU. These consultations are available at RHEC office. A Roanoke Degree Program application will be provided within the context of the consultation.