Math Tutors (Part-Time)
Do you like math? Do you have experience tutoring advanced math classes? Do you like working with adults? RHEC might be the place for you! We are seeking to hire experienced math tutors who are skilled at working with adult learners in individual and group settings for both in-person and online tutoring services.
RHEC houses over 150 degree/certification programs offered by member institutions with a diverse student population. Since each program has specific course offerings, we are looking for math tutors who are confident in a range of math skills including basic math concepts, algebra, accounting, and statistics.
Tutor Job Responsibilities/Qualifications
- Ability to help students develop organizational methods and practices
- Work with students to focus on individual study skills
- Craft customized learning programs based on student needs
- Ability to teach students how to learn 1:1 and on a group basis
- Ability to help students improve math study habits and note-taking
- Ability to assist with homework and test preparation
- Ability to positively supervise students
- Must be able to attend required meetings and training sessions at RHEC
- Experienced math tutor, preferably with adult students
- Be professional, a collaborator, flexible, honest, and patient with students
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Must be proficient in Google applications and web tools related to tutoring
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- A self-starter with good time management skills is necessary
Education, Experience, and Licensing Requirements
- At least 18 credit hours of college-level math training. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 hours of tutoring experience and training
- Certification with an appropriate national tutoring association preferred
Retired teachers are encouraged to apply.
This is a 1099 independent contractor position with flexible hours dependent on student class schedules. Work may be performed at the Roanoke Higher Education Center in the space provided.