Master of Social Work
About the Program
This program is designed primarily for people working full-time in the human services arena. Classes are offered on Saturday. The Roanoke program is referred to as standard, part-time MSW curriculum. The program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education and is reviewed and monitored by a Professional Advisory Council of 50-plus professional social workers.
- Child, Family and School Social Workers
- Social Work Administrators
- Social Work Researchers
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Workers
- Medical Social Workers
- LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) with additional training and supervision
Courses & Requirements
61 credit hours | Course Checklist
The program’s focus is community-based family practice, allowing students to acquire a blend of direct family practice skills coupled with an understanding and appreciation of human diversity. Because we are located in rural Appalachia, we offer coursework and internships focused on rural practice. However, for the student who wants practice experience that will lead to work in a city environment, we offer a selection of field placements in Roanoke–a midsize city about 45 miles from Radford. Field placement is an integral part of the curriculum.
Cost & Financial Aid
Learn more about Financial Aid opportunities at Radford University.
Radford University FAFSA code is 003732.
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
Radford University Resources Available To Students Enrolled Via RHEC:
- Radford University Bookstore
- McConnell Library
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion
- Center for Accessibility Services
- Military Resource Center
- Financial Aid Office
- Career Center at Radford University
- Division of Student Affairs
- Division of Information Technology (Radford University 25 station Computer Lab on Site at RHEC)
How to Apply
Prospective students must submit two (2) applications. Complete the Application for Graduate Admissions online AND the MSW Program Application. Submit them both online to the College of Graduate Studies and Research.
Please review application materials thoroughly as there is an essay requirement and other admissions criteria. It is recommended that you check with the MSW Coordinator for an absolute deadline if seeking application to Roanoke part-time program.
The School of Social Work established the following minimum criteria as required of all applicants seeking admission into the Master of Social Work program.