Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate
About the Program
RU | Certificate | Hybrid – The PMHNP graduate certificate will prepare the advanced practice nurse (APN) with the expertise and skills to diagnose and treat individuals suffering with psychiatric and mental health disorders. The graduate certificate courses will provide the APN with the skills to prescribe psychotropic medication and provide psychotherapy to individuals across the lifespan. Upon completion of the approved courses, the certificate seeking student will be eligible to take the PMHNP American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification exam.
Courses & Requirements
All students with a current certification as a Nurse Practitioner will be required to complete the following courses and clinical hours to enable them to meet the criteria established by ANCC for the PMHNP certification exam. The PMHNP courses have met prior approval by the Radford University Graduate College, for the PMHNP concentration in the post-B.S.N. to D.N.P. degree.
NURS 760: Advanced Nursing Practice in Psychiatric Mental Health: Theory & Practice – (3 credit hours)
NURS 761: Neuropathophysiology & Differential Diagnosis of Mental Disorders: A Lifespan Approach – (4 credit hours)
NURS 762: Psychotherapeutic Treatment Modalities & Clinical Psychopharmacology – (4 credit hours)
NURS 763: PMHNP Practicum I: Children & Adolescents – (6 credit hours – 270 clinical hours)
NURS 764: PMHNP Practicum II: Adult & Geriatrics – (6 credit hours – 270 clinical hours)
We know the path to higher education can be daunting, which is why we’re here to help.
As a student of the Roanoke Higher Education Center, you will have access to:
- Library collections and services
- Computer lab with printer/copier
- Student lounge with high-speed wireless Internet
- Cafe serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Free parking with a student parking pass
As a student of Radford University, you will have access to:
- McConnell Library
- Center for Accessibility Services – CAS serves and supports students, family members and visitors seeking reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Radford University Bookstore – Order textbooks online and have them delivered to you at home or business
- Harvey Knowledge Center
- International Admissions
How to Apply
- A master’s degree in nursing (M.S.N.) or doctoral degree in nursing (Ph.D. or D.N.P.)
- Current certification as a Nurse Practitioner and a license to practice as a registered nurse
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the graduate level
- Current certification in BLS or ACLS
- Completed Graduate College application
- Resume or curriculum vitae that includes prior education and professional practice
- Professionally written letter describing career goals and how certification will assist in achieving those goals
- Official transcripts from all postsecondary institutions attended
- Three letters of reference from professional contacts
- Personal phone interview with graduate nursing faculty
Please note: Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are not required.